Thursday, January 15, 2015

If I only knew then what I know now!!

I decided to do a brief History of Super Bowl #01. I know your thinking: It is a little early to talk about the Super Bowl, but today is the anniversary of the first one ever played (Jan 15th 1967)
The game was played in Los Angeles  at the Colosium in Exposition Park in down town L.A.
Maximum capacity is over 93,000 and full attendance to that game was less than 65,000.
At that time I was only 11 years old, but if I knew then what I know now, I would have done things differently. I lived in Canoga Park Calif which is only about an hour drive away from downtown LA.  I would have emptied my piggy bank to go to that game. I've never been to a Super Bowl, but I went to the NFC championship game in 2009 when the Arizona Cardinals beat the Philadelphia Eagles. Best sporting event I've ever seen.
Here is a bit of then and now:
Price of a ticket in 1967 $12.00    This year the base price is $600-$1,200.
On Stub Hub starting price is over $2,000 up to $16,000.00 (WTF)
Cost of a 30 second commercial in 1967 was $42,000.00
This year you are looking at a cool $4.5 million for 30 seconds.
For all my friends that aren’t that good at math = $150,000.00/second. (I think I’m in the wrong line of work)
It was the only Super Bowl that was simulcast NBC was assigned to AFL and CBS was assigned to the NFL.
Are you ready for this, both networks taped over most of the game tapes, because they wanted to save money. (common practice with unimportant sporting events). Here is a link to SUPER BOWL #01 I found on you tube.
Back in the ‘60s and ‘70s no one thought that football would pass baseball in ratings.
I can’t believe I was so close yet so far away.
If I only knew then what I know now, I would have done things differently.
I hope you will enjoy the game from home like me. I guess I could go down to the University of Phoenix Stadium and see if I can SCALP a ticket.
Again I find myself only a one hour drive from the event. This time I can drive myself. Just need to justify the outrageous ticket price to my wife.
Here are all the Rentals near the Stadium. It's not to late!
Dave Bracklow            480-390-4310        www.davebracklow.com

No comments:

Post a Comment